Software houses took up the challenge, of designing a system that would help in managing data in such a database. These systems were called Database Management Systems (DBMS). DBMS is a system that allows inserting, updating, deleting and processing of data. Some of the DBMS developed by software houses were Oracle, Ingress, Sybase, DBase 3+, Foxbase, Foxpro, MS Access and so on.
C. J. Dates define a database system, as a computer base record keeping system whose overall purpose to record and maintain information. In other word, database is a collection of related records and a set of programs to access this data. Because it is an entire system and enables ones to enter, store and manage data it is call Database Management System.
Benefits of DBMS
- The amount of data redundancy in stored data can be reduced
- No more data inconsistencies
- Stored data can be shared by a single or multiple users
- Standards can be set and followed
- Data integrity can be maintained.
- Data integrity refers to the problem of ensuring that database contains only accurate data
- Security of data can be simply implemented
- Data independence can be achieved, i.e. data and programs that manipulate the data are two different entities